Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fight cancer without risking cancer


Here are words I CANNOT say to anyone in this universe enough: WEAR SUNSCREEN.

As a fair-skinned, auburn-headed individual, I am sensitive to the issue. However, everyone, no matter your complexion, should take care of your skin!

I'm not always the best about reapplication of sunscreen. For some reason, I tend to forget I'm a red-head and need sunscreen like most people need oxygen. And this is what I end up with ...



I'm making it my #2 cause during the 3-Day. In fact, if you are in Chicago with me next month and I think you need it, I will probably offer to help you with sunscreen! How silly would it be to end up with skin cancer because you didn't take care while trying to end breast cancer????

With the recent heat indexes being national news, it's easy to remember sunscreen when walking. But this is also important on overcast days! Seriously. The sun is still casting out those UVs and they are, as always, in attack mode.

As far as sunscreen goes: Use the CDC recommends SPF 15 or higher. Most shirts provide less than SPF 15 protection, so put sun screen on under them. Darker shirts provide more UV protection, but can also make you feel hotter.

Despite popular belief, a tan is not a sign of health. It's an injury! When UV rays get inside the skin, the skin makes more melanin - the pigment that colors the skin. That melanin moves toward the outer layers of the skin and becomes visible as a tan. That tan is your skin cells signaling that they have been hurt by the sun's UV rays.

It's not practical for us to wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants while walking - but it is practical to wear sunscreen - and look out for each other. If we get burned on Day 1, can you imagine how much harder Days 2 & 3 will be?


"Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of ’99
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be
it."
- Baz Luhrmann: Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)


Here are recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control:
* Use sunscreen with sun protective factor (SPF) 15 or higher, and both UVA and UVB protection.
* Wear clothing to protect exposed skin.
* Wear a hat with a wide brim to shade the face, head, ears, and neck.
* Wear sunglasses that wrap around and block as close to 100% of both UVA and UVB rays as possible.
* Seek shade, especially during midday hours.
Source: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/prevention.htm

1 comment:

  1. Great reminder! I, too, am a pale freckle face that burns like crazy. Spray on sport sunblock has been my saving grace for 3 Day training! It's so face and it doesn't get all over my hands. I love it!

    ~ Kristen

    ReplyDelete