Thursday, May 27, 2010

Don't tread on what?

In order to fit in a five-mile walk today, I had to go to the gym super early. In fact, I was so early the gym wasn't even open yet!

At first I started to panic - I have every minute planned out because things are so busy and I didn't have time to waste 30 minutes. Luckily, logic popped in pretty quickly.

Hello, you're just here to walk. You can do that anywhere!

So I did. For 20 minutes until the gym opened I walked the parking lot and really did enjoy the breeze that surrounded me. Not a fan of the stares, but I was able to block those out.

Then, once the gym opened, I hopped on the treadmill and noticed something immediately. Time drags on the treadmill!

Prior to today, I wasn't really looking forward to tackling Saturday's 10-mile walk sans treadmill, but it's kinda nice to just turn on the iPod (audio books rock!) and not constantly be thinking about how far you've gone or how long the walk has been.

I haven't picked my route yet, but I think it should end somewhere greasy! I know I'll be starving after a ten mile walk!

5 comments:

  1. I definitely prefer the non-treadmill walks and I agree that the time seems to go by faster! Just wait 'til you try walking with a friend. The time flies by! Good for you and enjoy that 10-miler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't walk on the treadmill. It messes with my equilibrium. We have a beautiful park where I live that I get out and walk a couple times a week with other members of our 3-Day team. Yes, when you are outside with either your ipod or friends the time passes so fast.

    As far as the greasy food, wow you are better than me...I go straight to the margaritas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the treadmill referred to as the "dreadmill" and I have to agree. I chose walking in heat last night over the treadmill, and it was a much more pleasant experience. Good for you for making do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big treadmill girl either. I think I've probably logged 3 miles total on a treadmill over the past three years of training! It's definitely hot outside in the summer, but I just love being outside. And I agree about the audio books! I'm also a HUGE podcast fan as well. The bonus of podcasts is that they are completely free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've moved most of my training outdoors, but I hopped on the treadmill last weekend and noticed a change when I was back on the road a couple of days later: I shaved two minutes from my pace! This isn't a race or anything, but the treadmill seems to have reminded my body that it can handle a quicker step. I've pretty much decided to use the treadmill every couple of weeks - as a pacer, if you will.

    ReplyDelete